I don't usually take selfie shots... And if I did, I rarely share those photos. Sometimes I do because Google Plus' terms and conditions state that I need a profile photo that is seemingly a selfie shot. Hehe... Also because I'm making fun of myself. I want to test [myself] if I can upload my selfie to Facebook for all the friends to see, and if I wouldn't delete it. Guts test.
What's the big deal? You may ask. Well, it's just that I don't think I'm beautiful enough to display/expose/spread my face to more than a thousand people. Or, for me, it's just too embarassing. Or, I'm not just addicted to myself. Depends...
Growing up, I never heard my mama and papa said I'm beautiful. The only thing I could remember is - my mom always compares me with my cousins. We are four of the same age. One has matangos na ilong, the other one looks like a model and the third one has soft and smooth skin. Me? I remember her saying "kung sino pa ang babae, s'ya pa'ng panget". Those were the exact words she often used. [I have two brothers, by the way.] I love my mom and I don't hate her whatsoever, don't get me wrong. I just think she's not aware of certain things or she's just brutally too honest. *LOL*
And so, whenever there are guys who have crush on me, (oo, meron din! elementary to college! akalain mo 'yon!!!) I.DON’T.BELIEVE in them. Much more if they say I'm beautiful. Sinong niloko mo? I also grew up not girly-girly because at the back of my mind, I don't have the right. I'm not beautiful eh. Kinikilabutan lang ako. I began to see my flaws even more! Like I'm so payat and kubado, I have uneven hips and ears, thick lips, bulging eyes, pangong ilong, monay-shaped face etc etc... My papa even thought I was a lesbian. And somehow, I partially accepted that I would never get married. Who would love an ugly-duckling like me? So, I never thought that I'd have a handsome husband! *wink*
It wasn’t easy to have low self-esteem like that. It’s very saddening and depressing sometimes. It hampers your growth. You don’t see your worth. You always feel embarrassed and conscious. You have the fear that people may not like you or appreciate you. You become reserved and may just prefer to be alone. You tend to try and try and try and try harder to become good at something so that people, somehow, will compliment you. And when they do, it’s very hard for you to accept. You always feel inadequate. You become envious of others. And many, many more...
[Whew! Admitting insecurities are really hard! But it’s totally liberating!]
That’s why when I watched this video of Lizzie Velásquez, the girl who was voted as the ugliest women on earth, I couldn’t help but cry.
To be called ugly, especially when you're a girl, is heartbreaking. But to be labeled as the "ugliest"... [not to mention the extreme insults and comments]? Oh boy! Para ka sigurong pinagsakluban ng langit at lupa. Or, you might just wish na bumuka ang lupa at lamunin ka. O baka naman higit pa sa isang dagat ang iniluha mo. The pain she has experienced is far more than I can ever imagine.
But instead of wallowing in self-pity, anger and depression, instead of hating people, she rose against adversity. Despite of the all the torments she had experienced in life, her faith, tender and quiet spirit shines through. [That's the love of Jesus!] She has gone to succeed greatly. I'm not sure if there are many people who can do that! [Nakakahiya ang vanity ko!]
Lizzie Velásquez is an American woman who was born with extreme, rare medical condition which makes her unable to gain weight. She has to eat every 15 minutes in order to live. She has some progeroid physical characteristics, such as the pointed nose and already aging skin. She is blind in her right eye and has limited vision in the other.
Lizzie is now an author of two books and a sought-after motivational speaker. Know more about Lizzie at http://www.aboutlizzie.com/But instead of wallowing in self-pity, anger and depression, instead of hating people, she rose against adversity. Despite of the all the torments she had experienced in life, her faith, tender and quiet spirit shines through. [That's the love of Jesus!] She has gone to succeed greatly. I'm not sure if there are many people who can do that! [Nakakahiya ang vanity ko!]
Lizzie Velásquez is an American woman who was born with extreme, rare medical condition which makes her unable to gain weight. She has to eat every 15 minutes in order to live. She has some progeroid physical characteristics, such as the pointed nose and already aging skin. She is blind in her right eye and has limited vision in the other.
You made me the girl that I am for a reason. You gave me all those struggles growing up to make me stronger. You made me look different so I could see the beauty that isn't defined by media.
And I will always look at it [my syndrome] as a blessing.
I've learned to stop asking why because God does absolutely everything for a reason. And you just have to basically lay all down and let God take care of it.- Lizzie
Finally, the Word of God says,
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. - Proverbs 31:30, ESV
For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. - 1 Samuel 16:7, ESV
But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. - 1 Peter 3:3, ESV
You are indeed beautiful Lizzie. And you are such a great inspiration. *wink*
Image Source: NY Daily News

Hey, when Mama utters "Kung sino pa'ng babae, syang panget," she's just joking.
ReplyDeleteDi ako papayag na panget ka, kambal tayu, meaning panget din ako?! never! ahahahah
Yeah, I'm sure. But, hindi alam nung batang ako na joke un dati. Hehe... And yes, I'm not panget ano. Kung panget ako, wala ng maganda sa mundo! #Lakas!!! Hahahaha!!! Kaya pogi ka talaga Lol!
ReplyDeleteJust watched the vid. #TearyEye.
ReplyDeleteThank You Jesus!