Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Am I ready to level up?

I should. I believe that God doesn't want me to live a stagnant life. Just like a tree, He wants me to grow, flourish and bear much fruit. He has already provided all the things to nurture and support me... to become the person He wants to me to be... just like sending the rain and the sunshine to the trees! But, as much as God wants the best for me, that best doesn't happen in my life because of one great hindrance - me, myself and I. But the God of all grace is forever patient with me. He is the Omniscient God but He doesn't know how to give up on me. I can feel it. I know that in every single day of my life, He is there, gently moving inside of me, to change me and bring out the best in me, all for His glory.



Like this morning, He prompted me to leave my seat and get this dusty, little devotional book that's been poorly abandoned for years. I opened the devotional for today, March 13. (Well, I thought it's March 13 today. But in fact, it's March 14!) Then He led me to another page:

LEADERSHIP INSIDE - THEN OUT


So the Lord's anger was aroused against Israel, and He made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation that had done evil in the sight of the Lord was gone. - Numbers 32:13

The first person you lead is you - and you can't lead effectively without self-discipline. If only the Israelites had remembered this lesson! For forty years the Israelites wondered around in the dessert. Why didn't they get to the Promised Land more quickly? Not because it lay so far away - they could have made the trip in two weeks. The real reason boils down to preparation. The people simply weren't ready for God's blessing until forty years after they began their trip.

How about you? How is your self-discipline? Plato said, "The first and the best victory is to conquer self." If you want to be a leader with self-discipline, follow these action points:

1. Develop and follow your priorities.
2. Make a discipline lifestyle your goal.
3. Challenge your excuses.
4. Remove rewards until you finish the job.
5. Stay focused on results.

Never trade what you want at the moment for what you want the most.

Source: 
The Maxwell Leadership Bible
Leadership Promises for Every Day, A Daily Devotional by John C. Maxwell

Bull's eye!
The message of that verse has been playing on my mind and soul for weeks already. In fact, I wanted to share it with Jodel, my husband, but as usual, I let all the distractions of this world to reign in me again. I told you, God is patient. He reminds me of this message again. And today, it's so loud and clear!

You know why it hit me? Because I've been asking God so many whys? Why my life seems so uninteresting, why I haven't achieved something, why I am not good at anything, why do Jodel and I need to suffer living apart from each other for many years, why do we have to wait for 8 years (and counting) where we initially planned it for 3 years, why is it like this, why is it like that... yada... yada... 

For the questions regarding me, the answer is plain and simple - I lack discipline. Oohh, I am fully aware of that for the longest time! In fact, I have been dealing about it. But then again, how do I deal about it? Am I giving my best? Am I serious enough? The reality bites me now, I am not giving 100%. I have been living a complacent and mediocre life. It's about time... it's about time to put those 5 items above in action. 

And as for this waiting, it must have been because we were disobedient... or faithless... or ever complaining... or we are not yet ready. Repent therefore...

The Lord's plan is this - not just for me, but also for you!

he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water
"That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers." Psalm 1:3


"They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:8

1 comment:

  1. Amen.... To God be all the Glory!

    ReplyDelete