Monday, September 10, 2012

Sam-Proofing our Home

As a new mom, it's a heartache when I see my li'l Sam get hurt! So, I'm doing all the best I can to protect him from injuries and possible accidents (called "Sam"-proofing).

I want to share with you 15 ways on how I do it:

1. Put floor mats on his play area
childproofing: floor mats

2. Put the medicines and chemicals on hanging cabinets, beyond Sam's reach (syempre, magkahiwalay yung gamot at chemicals, di ba? Hehe...)

3. Place all the knives, scissors and other sharp objects in a secured place. For us, in the hanging cabinet in the dirty kitchen. And we always prevent him to go to that area. Always remind Yaya dahil sa pagmamadali minsan, pwedeng makalimot.

4. Sam is sleeping with me and we have a bathroom inside the room. I am always making sure that the bathroom door is closed so he could not play or wander near the bath tub or water closet unsupervised.

5. Use anti-slip mats in the bathroom. Dry the floors always.

6. Cover the electrical outlets. Bought the cover below from a 100 Yen (Php50) shop when we were still in Japan. A package contains 4 pieces of this cover. I am sure most of the DIY stores and hardwares have this.
childproofing: electrical outlet cover

7. Use corner protectors. Bought these protectors in Wilcon for Php 54.75, 4 pieces in each package.
childproofing: corner protectors

childproofing: corner protectors

The protectors come with adhesives so dikit lang ng dikit.
childproofing: corner protectors

8. Place the TV on a high stand, rack or cabinet. Much better, have a wall bracket installed to secure the TV. We have this TV rack in the family area but we are not yet using this.
tv rack

I use this big shoe rack (shoe rack ha, hindi pulpito, hahaha!) instead because this is higher. Sam couldn't reach the TV anymore. I have removed the shoes.
tv stand

9. Have window grills installed so there's no way he could fall from the window. And for some reasons that I know, you are already aware of.

10. Install doors that serve as a baby gate
childproofing: baby gate

baby gate

11. Choose upholstered furnitures. I've chosen the leather ones for low maintenance. Just be extra careful na lang sa pag-aalaga for those who already have their wooden furnitures or the those made in metal. Mahal ang gamit ngayon. Pero kung kaya naman at walang magawa sa pera, palitan!!! ;)
childproofing: upholstered furnitures

Update: Hindi umubra ang glass for the center table. It's already been removed. I am now using a square ottoman to serve as the center table.

12. Install vertical railings para di mabilis akyatin.
childproofing: vertical stair railings

13. Use plastic cups, plates and other plastic containers.

Okay for the next two, I still have to avail these items:

14. Safety net for our electric fan (mahilig ang kiddoz humawak sa electric fan! Katakot!) or just buy a bladeless fan
childproofing: bladeless fan
Caribbean 16-inch Bladeless Fan, Php 3099, from Lazada.com.ph
childproofing: bladeless fan
Caribbean Heart-Shaped, 10-inch Bladeless Fan, Php 2599, also from Lazada.com.ph
I have seen some bladeless fans too in SM and Abenson. I think Iwata and Dowell are the brands, ranging from P2500 to P4500. Kaya lang, I am not sure which one is the best brand.

15. I must find a way to lock these cabinets and drawers. Lagi ding binubuksan! Talaga naman!!!
cabinets

I was looking for a lock like the one below. But there were no available products in DIY Stores I've been to, even in Ace Hardware SM Calamba and SM Southmall. Do you have any idea where to get this? Makapag-improvise na lang!

childproofing: cabinet lock
smartparenting.com.ph
Update: Right now, the drawers in the main kitchen are empty because Sam is always opening each one, throwing the stuffs here and there! The utensils are transferred to higher cabinets or in the dirty kitchen.

Do you also have kids or toddlers at home? What do you do to keep them safe? Please free to add my list. That is our mission of love - to protect the kids from danger especially in our own homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment