Thursday, November 1, 2012

How to make Ginamis?

What is Ginamis?

Ginamis is a dessert made from buko (young coconut meat), pinipig (flat rice crisps) and condensed milk.

Here in Sta. Cruz, Laguna, it's a tradition to cook or make "Ginamis" during undas or All Saint's Day. In Magdalena and in Majayjay (where I come from and where my relatives are), we don’t have this "custom". I’m not aware of this sweet, not until I moved to Sta. Cruz. I don't even know where this tradition of making "Ginamis" comes from.

ginamis dessert


How to cook or make Ginamis?


Ingredients

  • 1 kg young coconut meat (buko), shredded
  • 1 glass of coconut water
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (the amount based on your taste preference)
  • 1/4 kg flat rice crisps (pinipig)
  • sugar, according to taste

Procedure

  1. Lightly toast the pinipig. Then, let cool.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine young coconut, coconut water, sweetened condensed milk, toasted flat rice crisps (and sugar). Stir to distribute the ingredients evenly.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours.
  4. Serve.
ginamis dessert

Try it! You will surely enjoy this dessert like I do!

This Ginamis recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law.

1 comment: